Monday, February 25, 2013

Heart Sole & Glove 5k Race Report

After a few weeks of casual running, cautiously returning from injury, I longed for a test. The Heart Sole & Glove Run, a 5k, a local 5k at Coldstream Park in Lexington, was a perfect opportunity. I was unsure of what to expect, not only because of limited training, but also because I had not raced a 5k since 2011. I would have loved to break 20 minutes, but considering the circumstances, I was not sure that was realistic.

On a sunny, but chilly February Saturday morning in Central Kentucky, 263 participants lined up and completed this 5k. Much of the course was on paved trail. However, parts were on also on roads, open to traffic. I am not a fan of open courses, but as far as I know, there were no issues with traffic.

During this race, I was reminded of how short and intense 5ks are, if you truly race them. I went out a little faster than I probably should have, running the first mile in less than 6 minutes, and my pace faded toward the finish. In addition to fast start, and a mild elevation increase in the 2nd half of the course, my lungs held me back. Partially due to the cold air, they felt on fire as I finished the race. I'm sure they also had not completely redeveloped after having to take a couple months off.

I crossed the finish line with a time of 20:30, which I deemed acceptable. Most importantly, I finished healthy, having no issues after returning from injury. My overall result was a top 20 finish (19th) and 2nd place in age group.






No comments:

Post a Comment